Hummus is fast becoming a very popular snack food item and can even be used as a spread on sandwiches. Hummus is low in fat and high in fiber, making it a healthy alternative to chips and dip. Store-bought hummus is expensive and by making it yourself at home, you will save money and you can customize it to your personal taste.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cans of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup of tahini
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 ½ Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup of roasted red peppers
- 1 teaspoon of fresh parsley, chopped
Here’s what you do:
Pour the garbanzo beans, tahini, lemon juice, salt and garlic into a blender and set it on high. Blend this mixture until it is a smooth paste. Next, add the olive oil and blend until it is a creamy consistency. Scrape into a serving bowl and garnish the center with the roasted red peppers and chopped parsley. Serve with pita chips or cocktail size rye bread loaf.